As one of East Anglia’s leading triathlon clubs, we aim to promote the sport of triathlon to all levels of athletes, whether beginner or expert, junior or ‘superveteran’.
No-one will be excluded and beginners and newcomers to the sport are especially welcome. In 2018 we had over 200 members of all ages spread over Suffolk, South Norfolk, Essex and beyond. They ranged from complete beginners – some still yet to do their first event – to athletes competing in world championships.
What can the club offer?
- Members-only swimming sessions are held on a Saturday morning at a local 25m pool during term time, with some coaching available.
Spring triathlon coaching for age-groupers will be aimed at novices (especially their swimming technique).
Junior members are guided toward a more structured programme of development across all disciplines, with which parents are expected to help.
- During the summer holiday period, senior members have been able to use a private lake which has been available both on a Saturday morning and one evening a week for most of the summer.
- Our weekly club night for seniors is Thursdays at Greshams in Ipswich, which is used as a base for shorter training sessions – typically run-training – sometimes followed by a chat in the bar afterwards.
Run-outs are organised on a volunteer rota basis, with people of all speeds welcome.
- We are affiliated to BT (British Triathlon) through Triathlon England. This means that members can get a discount off the full year subscription if they choose to join BT direct – for example to get an annual race licence. (Please check back with me if you cannot find our club listed on the Triathlon England or BT website.)
- We are linked to the Ipswich District Cycling Association, which means members are able to compete in the Association’s summer series of mid-week evening time-trials (five & 10 mile).
- We are affiliated to UK Athletics through England Athletics, and our members are able to enter the Suffolk County winter cross-country league. First claim senior members, once registered, also receive the England Athletics competition licence which serves as a club membership card, and get discounted entry to UK:A registered races and other benefits.
- Affiliation to England Athletics has meant we have usually been allocated one or two places in the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- Club kit is sold to members at cost, with members also receiving discount vouchers as part of their membership – in particular on fulfilling their marshalling obligations.
- Discounts are often available from various local retailers, notably Coes (Norwich Road, Ipswich) who offer a 15% discount on full-priced running shoes & kit.
- We have Club Championships with categories for juniors, seniors, veterans and supervets. These championships are decided by performance within a club championship league, featuring a choice of eligible events – for seniors these range from sprint to Ironman distance.
- The club retains this website for advertising club events such as the ever popular Culford triathlon but (senior) members are encouraged to join to a very active members-only “closed group” on Facebook.
In addition to these club activities, individual members organise social and other events throughout the year, including ride-outs & yoga sessions, using the Facebook group.
What does membership cost?
For 2019 the subscriptions for existing categories remain:
- Senior (18 yrs & over) £20.00
- Family £30.00
- Junior (17 yrs and under, but see below) £5.00
- Associate membership (see below) £10.00
Senior members are also expected to provide help with our “open” events: the sprint triathlons we’ll hold at Culford in June and August, and the junior triathlon held at Framlingham in July. We also need volunteers for five mid-week cycle time-trials during the summer.
The subscription fee includes affiliation to England Athletics for first claim senior members which will gain you an England Athletics competition licence. (Please note this is NOT a triathlon race licence, which you buy as part of entering an event. However, our members can get a discount on an annual licence from Triathlon England.)
Please note that juniors normally join under the umbrella of a Family membership. However, if it’s cheaper, they can join the club on an individual basis provided an associated adult also joins and helps out. The adult can apply for Associate membership at just £10.00 – but we will not register Associate members with England Athletics.
Juniors can be registered with England Athletics at the request of parent/responsible adult but we will need you to pay the registration fee which is rising to £15.
Senior members will receive £10 worth of club kit vouchers when you first join the club (max of £20 per family membership application). Further vouchers are then given to members at the discretion of our Chairman and our event race directors as a “thank you” for helping out.
What events does the Club promote?
The Club is promoting three “open” events in 2019:
- a spring “sprint” triathlon held at Culford near Bury St Edmunds on Sunday 2nd June.
- a Junior Triathlon for 8-16 year olds at Framlingham on Saturday 27th July.
- a summer “sprint” triathlon, again at Culford, Sunday 11th August.
All profits are used to the benefit of the membership, and members will be expected to assist or provide an assistant for at least one, and preferably two, of the events.
We also put on five of a local series of cycle time-trials, for which volunteers are also needed. (These races are only open to members of associated clubs.) Our events are Tue Apr 2nd, Tue Apr 9th, Wed Aug 21st, Wed Aug 28th, and Wed Sep 4th.