why join us
As one of East Anglia’s leading triathlon clubs, we aim to promote the sport of triathlon to all levels of athletes, whether beginner or expert, junior or ‘superveteran’.
No-one will be excluded and beginners and newcomers to the sport are especially welcome. In 2014 we had around 150 members of all ages spread over Suffolk, South Norfolk and Essex. They ranged from complete beginners – some still yet to do their first event – to athletes who have competed in world championships.
What can the club offer?
• Members-only swimming sessions are held on a Saturday morning at a local 25m pool during term time, with coaching available. Spring triathlon coaching for age-groupers will be aimed at novices (especially their swimming technique) in readiness for Culford II on May 31st. During the summer holiday period, senior members have been able to use a private open water facility which has also been available one evening a week for most of the summer.
• Our weekly club night for seniors is Thursdays at Greshams in Ipswich, which is used as a base for shorter training sessions – typically run-training but also turbo-bricks and other sessions – usually followed by a chat in the bar afterwards, where members are entitled to a discount if they ask. Run-outs are organised on a volunteer rota basis, with people of all speeds welcome.
• The club owns a small number of turbos mainly for use at Greshams sessions but which can also be borrowed by members.
• Junior members are guided toward a more structured programme of development across all disciplines, with which parents are expected to help.
• We are affiliated to BT (British Triathlon) through Triathlon England. This means that members can get a discount off the full year subscription if they choose to join BT direct – for example to get an annual race licence. (Please check back with me if you cannot find our club listed on the Triathlon England or BT website).
• We are linked to the Ipswich Cycling Association, which means members are able to compete in the ICA’s summer series of mid-week evening time-trials (five & 10 mile).
• We are affiliated to UK Athletics through England Athletics. This allows us to enter the Suffolk County winter cross-country league. First claim members, once registered, also receive the England Athletics competition licence which serves as a club membership card, gets discounted entry to UK:A registered races and a discount from Sweatshop.
• Affiliation to England Athletics has meant we have usually been allocated two or three places in the Virgin Money London Marathon.
• Club kit is sold to members at cost, with members also receiving discount vouchers as part of their membership – in particular on fulfilling their marshalling obligations.
• As well as the UK:A arrangement with Sweatshop, discounts are often available from various other retailers such as Pedalpower at Martlesham. Just ask!
• The club retains a club website for advertising club events such as the ever popular Culford triathlon but (senior) members are encouraged to ask for a “join” to a very active members-only “closed group” on Facebook. This is where members tend to arrange ride-outs with similarly-paced colleagues.
• We have Club Championships with categories for juniors, seniors, veterans and supervets. These championships are decided by performance within a club championship league, featuring a choice of eligible events – for seniors these range from sprint to Ironman distance.
In addition to these club activities, individual members organise social and other events throughout the year, including ride-outs & yoga sessions.
What does membership cost?
For 2015/16 the subscriptions for existing categories remain:
• Senior (18 yrs & over) £20.00
• Family £30.00
• Junior (17 yrs and under) £5.00
Senior members must also provide help with two or more of our three “open” events: Culford II, Culford, Framlingham junior, Duathlon (see below for dates).
The subscription fee includes affiliation to England Athletics for first claim senior members which will gain you an England Athletics competition licence. (Please note this is NOT a triathlon race licence, which you buy as part of entering an event. You can get a discounted annual licence through Triathlon England.)
From 2015, juniors are only allowed to join the club on an indivudual basis if an associated adult also joins and helps out. This can be through a Family membership. However, if it’s cheaper, the adult can apply for Associate membership at £10.00 but we will not register Associate members with England Athletics.
You will receive £10 worth of club kit vouchers when you first join the club (max of £20 per family membership application). Further vouchers are then given to members at the discretion of our Chairman and our event race directors as a “thank you” for helping out.
What events does the Club promote?
The Club is promoting four “open” events this year:
• a “sprint” triathlon held Culford in July.
• a second running of Culford called Culford II in May.
• a Junior Triathlon for 8-16 year olds. Part of the Eastern Area series, this is scheduled to be held at Framlingham in August.
• an autumn duathlon (run/cycle/run). This is based at Alton Water and scheduled for September .
All profits are used to the benefit of the membership, and members will be expected to assist or provide an assistant for at least one of these events.
We also put on four of a local series of cycle time-trials, for which volunteers are also needed (These races are only open to members of associated clubs).